Gideon Welles Dining Commons
Meals at Cheshire Academy are served in Gideon Welles Dining Commons, a beloved brick building that has served various roles since it was built. Modeled after the Hill School gymnasium by architect Theodore Appel, Welles was first constructed as a gymnasium, which was completed around 1926. The building renovated in the 1960s in order to become the new Dining Commons. Initially, Welles maintained the second floor track balcony from the gymnasium that overlooked the dining hall below, which provided additional seating for students and faculty. That balcony has since been removed from the building, and flags representing the various countries from which our students hail now hang at that level.