Teaching at Cheshire Academy
In addition to teaching, other responsibilities include: advising, coaching and/or leading extra-curricular activities, and weekend team responsibilities.
TEACHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The typical course load is four classes that meet four times per week in 45-minute periods (more with labs or intensive courses). The standard teacher load is 50 students, with an average of 12 students per class. As members of a residential community, Academy teachers work to realize excellence not only in classroom teaching but also in their dormitory work, their advising of students, their coaching, and their wider involvement as a constructive force in the lives of students.
Candidates who wish to apply for a teaching position should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in the discipline you wish to teach; advanced degrees encouraged (State certification is not required.)
- Ability to coach one or more sport and/or advise an extracurricular activity
- Ability to obtain as CT driver’s license with Class A endorsement to transport students
- A genuine interest in working with adolescents
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Commitment to professional growth
It is expected that all teachers at Cheshire Academy will have a proven mastery of the subject matter for the teaching position being sought. As such it is expected that teaching faculty will have teaching experience in their specific discipline.
Salaries: In line with salaries for new teachers with advanced degrees at Cheshire Academy. Teachers are given salary credit for teaching experience.
Benefits: Academy Tuition Remission, Health Insurance, Dental Plan, Worker’s Compensation, Long-term Disability, Short-term Disability, Group Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Faculty Housing, Dining Hall Privileges.
Professional Development: Summer grants for coursework and research; Cheshire Academy Summer School and summer sports clinics; possible foreign study tours; conference attendance; graduate-course subsidies are available to faculty.