Affording a Cheshire Academy Education
At Cheshire Academy, we fully understand and appreciate the financial commitment families make in deciding to provide their children with an independent school education. The goal of our financial aid program is to provide access to those who qualify for need-based financial aid and may not be able to otherwise afford The Academy. This year, we awarded $3.9 million in financial aid with an average award of approximately $23,506.
Need-based financial aid is determined by School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) and by Cheshire Academy’s Financial Aid Committee. While we do have a generous financial aid budget, we cannot guarantee funding to everyone who qualifies. To be eligible for consideration in the first round of financial aid awards, you must complete your financial aid application by February 1, 2019.
The Admissions Committee, comprised of Admissions Officers and faculty, first makes a decision on whether or not your child is admissible based on their admissions application. The Financial Aid Committee is then responsible for financial aid decisions for accepted students and allocates awards based on a family’s demonstrated need. Please know that Cheshire Academy is not able to aid all qualified applicants, and, unfortunately, some may be placed on a waitlist or even denied financial aid.
Cheshire Academy works with School and Student Services (SSS) for Financial Aid. SSS uses a formula to compute a family’s estimated contribution to an independent school education. The Office of Financial Aid at Cheshire Academy considers the SSS recommendation and then conducts a more in-depth evaluation that includes a review of both 2016 and 2017 tax returns. While we ask families to estimate the 2018 tax information in the financial aid application process, awards are not final until the 2018 federal tax return is submitted to SSS.
Boarding – $58,880
Day – $41,100
Admission application deadline. Rolling admission after this date. Please contact the Admission Office at 203.439.7250 for additional information.
Financial aid application deadline for sending PFS on SSS website.
Notification of admission decisions and financial aid awards.
Enrollment response deadline.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
STEP 1 - Submit your PFS
- Please go to https://sssbynais.force.com/familyportal
to submit your Parent Financial Statement (PFS) Online. Cheshire Academy’s school code is 2362. The deadline for submission of your PFS is February 1.
- Please download the Family Guide to Financial Aid, Applying for Financial Aid flyer and PFS Workbook and Instruction Booklet under Financial Aid Documents for more information.
- You can call SSS Customer Service with any questions about submitting your PFS – 800-344-8328 (M-F: 9am – 8pm EST; Sat: 9am- 4pm EST).
STEP 2 - Upload Required Documents
Please upload all required documents to your SSS account. If you are not able to upload, you may mail required documents to SSS and refer to the PFS Instructions for SSS mailing addresses. Please do not send required documents to Cheshire Academy.
By February 1, upload:
- 2018 W2’s and/or 1099’s
- 2016 and 2017 tax returns with all schedules
- 2016 and 2017 schedule K-1, if you are a shareholder in an S-Corp or partnership
- Verification of tuition costs for all other children in tuition-charging schools (a tuition bill, enrollment contract or 1098-T form as issued by many colleges) – Please upload under the My Document Tab in the “Additional Documents” section.
By April 15, upload:
- 2018 tax returns with all schedules
- 2018 schedule K-1, if you are a shareholder in an S-Corp or a partner in a partnership